Monday, June 24, 2013

Mormon,Mormonism Sleep

In Section 88 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord counseled us to get sufficient sleep but not more that we actually need, the dark hours apparently being the most profitable for our sleep. This counsel was given in 1832.
cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated (D&C 88:124).
When that revelation was given in 1832, it made sense to sleep during the dark hours and do the farm work or whatever during the daylight hours, since the only sources of light at night were lamps and fireplaces. In our society today we have excellent sources of artificial light, and it it is easy to rationalize that it is OK to do our vocational/family activities at night and sleep, partially at least, during the daylight hours. I do such rationalizations since I'm a night-owl. I love to stay up until 2 or 3 am working on my projects and then sleep into the morning to get my normal 7-8 hours of sleep. However, as I get older I'm finding that I'm not able to sleep in the morning like I could when I was younger. My internal clock seems to be reverting to the schedule outlined by the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment