Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Exercise

The Word of Wisdom teaches us to take care of our bodies through eating healthy foods and avoiding alcohol, tobacco, and "hot drinks". The Lord didn't discuss exercise in the Word of Wisdom, likely because Joseph Smith prayed about other matters. It's likely that Joseph wasn't concerned about exercise, because the life-style on the frontier of the United States involved a lot of physical activity, and most people didn't need to do separate activities for exercise. The situation is different today, however. Many, if not most, people sit all day in front of a desk, computer, or TV and don't get much physical exercise. People preparing meals and taking care of a house don't get much exercise either, because of the labor-saving technology used in the home. It is important that we do other activities to get the exercise that our body needs.

The "spirit" of the Word of Wisdom teaches us to take care our bodies. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints encourages its members to exercise. Volley ball and basketball programs are included in the programs of the church. In addition, some stakes sponsor road races. The church has adopted Scouting as part of its program for LDS boys, and scouting places a big emphasis on health through sports programs and hiking. It is common for groups of LDS to use church buildings for aerobic workouts; these workouts aren't official church programs, but the use of church buildings implies that local leaders think the aerobic workouts are important.

During the 17 years my wife and I lived in New England, we burned wood for heat, because that was less expensive than burning oil. For several weeks each year, we were busy cutting dead trees and splitting the logs, and that activity helped us keep healthy. During the winter, shoveling snow from our 300 foot driveway helped keep us in shape. Also, I was a runner (I still am) and ran 5 days per week, getting good exercise during my runs.

My running gave me a fit body that saved my life when I had an auto accident a few years ago. I went into the hospital as a code-blue and was in an induced coma for three weeks while the doctors struggled to keep me alive. Twice my family was called to the hospital because the doctors didn't think I would make it through the night. After leaving the ICU, I went to another hospital for 10 days of therapy, and each time a new nurse came into my room she would say, "So you're the runner". My wife was also in the accident, and she spent 2 1/2 weeks in the ICU. She had a ruptured colon and a damaged back. She recovered because of her strong body that came from years of tending her flower and vegetable gardens. She spends over 10 hours each week taking care of her gardens. Both of us appreciate the importance of exercise in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment