Monday, June 24, 2013

Mormon,Mormonism Fasting

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints live a distinctive life-style. In this post, I discuss the practice of fasting.

The LDS church teaches its members to fast as a means of gaining spirituality. These teachings are focused on a monthly period of fast, known as "Fast Sunday" and encourage members to fast when they need to be closer to God. Fast Sunday is usually the first Sunday of each month, although events such as General Conference may change that schedule. Members, who have the physical health to do so, are asked to fast for two consecutive meals by abstaining from food and drink.

Latter-day Saints who are of good health and are not pregnant completely abstain from food and drink for a relatively short time. Many people in other faiths fast from solid foods but do consume liquid foods, and those fasts are usually for a relatively long period of time. Some people, especially those who are fasting as a form of social opposition, fast for such a long time that they become unable to move or to take care of themselves, and government will often step in and stop the fasting of those persons.

As an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I have followed the practice of fasting. I have found that fasting helps me develop self-control. Because fasting weakens me physically, I have found that it is easier for me to become closer to God. I'm grateful for the principle of fasting, because it has had a positive effect in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment